This year we are investigating the following areas:
- Protecting and enhancing aroma in Muller Thurgau wine using enzymes and yeast derivatives.
- Examining the influence of maceration times on Dornfelder red wines
- Investigating the role of yeast strain on Acolon Rose wine
- Investigating new yeast strains on Reichensteiner white wine
- Developing thiol aroma in Bacchus white wine
- Assessing the impact of cold maceration and enzymes on Dornfelder red wines
|Acolon Rose yeast trial|
Besides examining the impact of the treatments the students get a taste of managing wine ferments which include making correct additions, taking timely and accurate measurement as well as ameliorating potential problems such as hydrogen sulphide and volatile acidity.
Beside the vinification trials we also have a few student project wines being made. So we also have trials underway that look at different vineyard planting densities of Regner vines, Non-sacchromyces in Pinot Noir to name a couple.
|Pressing Regner planting density grapes|